Video, work in progress

Video: Sewing for Sicily

youtube-subscribe-button

Travels to a sunnier climate is the perfect excuse to make some new garments, right? Well that was what I thought when we a few weeks ago spontaneously booked a trip to Sicily this summer. So in this video I talk about the garments I plan to whip up before we leave at the end of July. My plans are a little bit ambitious but next week I’ll begin a four week holiday so I think it’s manageable.

Also as a bonus info, I share the story about how I fell off a boat and into the water and how my beloved African wax print shorts disappeared as a consequence. If you want to know more about the trip I mention in the video, check out my post about renting a narrow boat in England.

14 Comment

1. Reply
    Chloe
    July 7, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Hello! I just came across your blog this morning, and I love your videos! So great to see the fabric in action! Very sorry to hear about your original wax print shorts, that would have been so sad – you have my sympathies. As for your herringbone fabric, as much as I love sailor pants, the skirt seems like it would be really nice in this fabric, with the buttons as you say.

1. Reply
      July 7, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Thank you for your comment and for stopping by at my blog! The skirt does seem like the best choice for the fabric in question, I think it's a case of me being so married to my original idea of making a pair of trousers that it might get in the way of my thought process, that's why I'm so grateful for the feedback 🙂

2. Reply
    esther lara
    July 7, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Hej! Jag tror att sjömans byxor vore dett bästa ideet för dett graaa tyget…
    grattis till resan till Sicilien, jag besökte Palermo förra aaret och det är en underbar stad…

1. Reply
      July 8, 2016 at 5:53 am

Tack för ditt råd, just nu är det ungefär 50/50 🙂 Så svårt att bestämma sig! Palermo låter fantastiskt, vi ska vara på andra sidan ön och har inte riktigt kollat upp om det är snabbt och enkelt att ta sig runt. Vore fint att få uppleva Palermo!

3. Reply
    Summer Flies
    July 8, 2016 at 4:54 am

How terrible to lose your shorts like that! You can only hope someone finds them and enjoys them! I think the sailor pants. I love sailor pants and I think they will be more practical for travel. I love the other two prints and patterns too. I'm sure you'll make them all before you go!

1. Reply
      July 8, 2016 at 5:55 am

Yes that was a bummer for sure! I love sailor pants too and this project would be the first when I do them properly with a real front flap. So I have strong feelings for that idea!

4. Reply
    Ann
    July 8, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Hello! How tragic about your shorts, I'm so sorry! But your vacation in England sounds like it was wonderful, apart from that.

I vote for the sailor pants — I think they would suit you very well, and be more unusual than a skirt.

Have fun!

1. Reply
      July 8, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Oh yes it was a wonderful trip for sure, one of the best vacations ever I think. I would love to do it again some day. And thank you for the feedback, it's truly a toss up right now among you who have commented regarding pants vs skirt. So hard 🙂

5. Reply
    Iris
    July 8, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Hi, I really like how you often seem to sew the Burda patterns that appeal to me, including those from older magazines! In fact, I made those sailor pants recently using some heavy-weight denim and I really like how they turned out. As much as I would like to see your version of the pants, it looks like the drape of your fabric might be more suitable for the skirt (which I have had my eye on for some time as well). But the pants are definitely more special.

1. Reply
      July 8, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Wow that is so cool to hear! These were the reason I bought that issue in the first place and 11 years I still haven't made them! But hearing from you makes me even more assured I need to make these trousers someday, even if it doesn't happen with this fabric

6. Reply
    Kyle
    July 8, 2016 at 2:25 pm

I am pro-skirt for that flowy, drapey fabric. 🙂
    I loved the video–watched it last night on my phone as I brushed my teeth!
    Really sorry that you lost your shorts. When I was 10 or so, I was on a family vacation where we left all our swimwear, towels, etc out on the hotel balcony to dry and later on when I checked, my favorite tank top (which I won in a contest from Chiquita banana) was GONE. It must have blown away. Today I would have been scouring the area for the tank; maybe we did at the time, I don't know. And I didn't even make it but I was heartbroken.

I loved your floppy sun hat too–it reminded me of tv commercials for vacations in Italy that I saw as a child.

Happy vacation sewing!!!

1. Reply
      July 8, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Thank you! Oh what a sad story about the top and one that had such a special meaning too. And I think as kids these things would affect us even more. I was prone to, and my kids too, to wear the same garment every day until the parents interfered. So having a favorite garment as a child was a very special thing for sure. The feedback are definitely split in the middle right now. Maybe I should put together a graph of the votes after I've decided 🙂

7. Reply
    Anne
    July 10, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Nice video (so sorry for the loss of your wax shorts!). What beautiful fabric you have for your vacation sewing projects! Although sailor pants would probably be very nice in that lovely drapey fabric, I prefer the idea of turning it into a button front skirt. Either way, you will certainly have fun wearing your new garment under the Sicilian sun! Have fun preparing for your trip 🙂

1. Reply
      July 10, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Thank you! I feel pretty giddy to get going, Morrow I plan to begin with the shorts and hopefully also come to a conclusion regarding a skirt vs sailor trousers 🙂