Video: The Little Red Dress – help me pick a pattern!

- Video, work in progress

Red is a great colour that I wear all too seldom. So that’s why I’m participating The Little Dress Project, initiated by blogger and Youtuber Runningnstyle. The basic brief is making a red shift/sheath dress using a red fabric. I got three different vintage patterns that all fit the brief and that I really like, but I don’t know which one to chose! So I would love to get some feedback on which dress that you like the most!

In the video I also talk about wanting to find a luxe fabric with a surface such as crepe or pique. What I imagine is the sort of fabric that Victoria Beckham uses for many of her signature dresses.

red-dress-thumbnails

Wool and silk crepe dresses from Victoria Beckham

I don’t want to make a shiny glossy dress because I figure I won’t ever wear that one. Instead I’m opting for a more restrained style, but still festive when it comes to splurging on the fabric.

I also talk about fabric shopping in Copenhagen in video, and I’ve done a shopping guide with some of the best fabric stores there.

If you want to se more participants search for the #thelittlereddressproject tag on Instagram.

So that’s the premises of my dress plans. So which dress do you think is the best one?

Geraldine Cooper
    October 30, 2016 at 4:05 pm

I like the first one and the last. Your fabric choices sound divine!

October 30, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Thank you for the feedback! Yes the fabric will be key I think, I just hope I find it too!

PsychicSewerKathleen
    October 30, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Johanna my favourite pattern is the #1566 Stil! I love that pattern 🙂 I’m wondering if have investigated shopping for your fabric online? I’ve learned to be VERY careful when doing that and now have a couple that I trust to provide quality (Thread Theory, Blackbird fabrics) but another you would love I’m sure is ’til the sun goes down in the UK – she sells vintage fabrics and her patterns are wonderful too. Just a thought 🙂 I’m not connected to these sites in any way – I just like them and trust them to provide the quality which I’m very fussy about. I can’t see the point in spending money and investing a lot of time and effort on cheap fabric 🙂 I love the dress you’re wearing by the way! It’s lovely with that knot in the front and suits you to a Tee.

October 30, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Normally I love buying fabric online, but I’m nervous about not getting the right shade of red colour, there are some reds that I love and some that I feel meh about. And thank you for the suggestions, I’ve only heard of Thread Theory before. The UK one is especially attractive to me currently due to the crazy costs of buying non EU stuff and get it to Sweden. But there is a trade deal getting done between EU and Canada at the moment and fingers crossed fabrics will be included 🙂

Nancy
    October 30, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Personally I like the second pattern best, but my second choice would be the long-sleeved Simplicity one. Sounds like an interesting project!

October 30, 2016 at 9:20 pm

I too think the the second is the most interesting, both design and shape wise, but perhaps it would make me look even shorter? I’m currently feeling quite drawn to the third one, I like how it has a certain glam factor 🙂

Kristin
    October 30, 2016 at 7:11 pm

I’m liking the lowered-waist dress just because it’s a nit unusual.

October 30, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Agree, it’s the stand-out of the three when it comes to the design and the shape! I am only a bit worried that a low waist might shrink my height even more, but maybe I’m over analyzing things!

KathleenS
    October 31, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Pattern no 3.

November 1, 2016 at 8:10 am

Thank you for the feedback, it’s definitely the one I’m leaning towards now 🙂

LisaB
    November 1, 2016 at 12:31 am

I think the type of fabric you want to use would look best in the first or third patterns. I think I would rank them 3, 1, 2.

Looking forward to following along once you get started!

November 1, 2016 at 8:12 am

Thank you! I’m very tempted to do the third one now 🙂