Saturday sewing bits

- Life of Johanna, Tools

Here comes a little round-up post with some sewing related stuff that is happening currently.

The Burdastyle workout top from issue 1/2017 is done and entered into Patternreview’s Activewear contest. You can read my review of the pattern, see more photos and vote for your favourite entries here.
A proper blog post about the top is coming next week!

Also, I have added two more sewing podcasts to my Big list of sewing podcasts:

Sewing out Loud

A real treat for us sewing super nerds! Hosted by a mother and daughter team, they chat and banter about all things sewing related. This podcast is full of helpful tips and tricks,  with lots of machine talk (the daughter runs a sewing machine shop and both are very big on Babylocks). They are strong in their opinions, but I find myself agreeing with a lot of stuff they say.  If you want to become sewing smarter in just 30 minutes, this is the podcast for you.

Sy och sprätta

A Swedish sewing podcast that two of my online sewing mates have started. Sy och sprätta means Sew and rip in English. Will be all about garment sewing!

Plus my Babylock Imagine has finally arrived in Sweden! I picked it up from the store today and am so excited to start using it. Will get some classes in the store too, to make sure I know how to use it properly. Once I’ve used it for a good while I’ll post a review. Right now though I’m really tired in the arms from carrying my old Pfaff to and from the tram to the store for the trade-in and then the Babylock on way home. Sewing machines are no joke, when you have to carry them for a bit!

So that was all for now. Hope you all will have a nice weekend!

PsychicSewerKathleen
    February 18, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Congratulations on your new Imagine Johanna! You’re going to LOVE it 🙂 I bought mine last spring and the first blush of love is still there. My husband bought me a new sewing machine for our 27th anniversary on Saturday 🙂 It’s the new Elna 780! I am so excited too. I’ve bought my Elna 740 second hand a couple of years ago and love it but when I saw Elna came up with a much updated and upgraded version I was beside myself 🙂

February 19, 2017 at 5:05 pm

What a wonderful present! You are very lucky 🙂 I have never owned an Elna, but they seems very sturdy and versatile!

Summerflies
    February 19, 2017 at 1:36 am

Oh yeah for your new machine arriving! I carried my sewing machine and overlocker to New Zealand when I went to live there for a year. Heavy, heavy, heavy but so worth it.

February 19, 2017 at 5:08 pm

🙂 I would do the same. Being without sewing machines for year is more painful than the temporary aches!

Esther
    February 19, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Grattis till det nya maskinet! Jag är mycket intresserad i Sy och sprätta, det kommer jag att lyssna paa idag om jag kan!

February 19, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Kul! Är så glad att det äntligen kommer podcasts på svenska. Finns en till som heter Sypodden, men den handlar inte bara om klädsömnad utan om företagande och sånt också. Sy och sprätta ska komma ut en gång i månaden är det tänkt!

Anne
    February 19, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Congrats on your new BL. I have no doubt you are going to love it! I get to use a BL in my sewing class – I look forward to having my own 🙂 Bravo on the workout top! The way you placed the print makes is so lively.

February 19, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Thank you! Now that I can make my own print, the opportunities are endless 🙂 Just wish the it would work better with darker colours, but now I know. I have yet to touch my Babylock, just unpacked it and set it up, but tonight I will hopefully try it out. Very curious about how the air threading works

Loni
    February 19, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Your top is amazing! A cut above the rest. I tried to vote for you, but couldn’t since I just joined PR and have to wait out my 3 month probabtion, apparently. Anyway, good luck! (But I don’t think you need luck.)

February 20, 2017 at 8:11 am

Aww, thank you! That makes me really happy to hear, I have a tendency to really focus on the little things that I could have done better and not seeing the bigger picture, so comments like this is very encouraging to hear!