Sewing bits and pieces

- Life of Johanna, work in progress
It’s finally February and while it snowed today, at least the days are not as dark anymore. Hopefully this will mean more energy, I’ve been so sleepy lately that I’ve been taking naps almost every day! Anyways, here comes a summery of some sewing stuff, plus a fun life update too.
byxor2
I’ve almost finished my first pair of trousers in eight years! Yay for me, as it was a lot of work, both the assembly and the fitting process was exhausting. I pretty much spent the entire weekend working on them. And while the fit is not perfect, I do think they turned out better than most store bought pants that I’ve owned and that was the main goal. So stay tuned for more info about that project.
15801901_1835224553358796_5325137157818417152_n
I’ve ordered my first batch of Spoonflower fabrics. The order will arrive this week and I’m very excited (and a little bit nervous too). I ordered two prints of their sports lycra that I will turn into some fun active wear. I loved designing the prints and this is something I would like to do more of in the future.
16123547_253938475011635_5370536306461900800_n
I also stopped being frugal and ordered a Babylock Imagine serger! I’m so sick of my barley functional 13+ years old Pfaff and everyone is raving about Babylocks, so I decided to spend my money on quality. The downside is that every sewist in Sweden has gone Babylock crazy apparently, so I’m currently on a waiting list.
ask mes screen shot
I’ve recorded the video(s) for my Q&A about sewing active wear. I got so many questions that I will split the video into two parts, and still there were questions that I didn’t have the time to answer because my camera stops recording after 20 minutes and I was pretty fried in the brain as well after that. Maybe I’ll record a third video in the future.
On a non-sewing note, I’ve gotten a new job! Pretty similar to the job I currently got, but for a different organisation. I’m really excited about this change and very much look forward to being a part of a team again (in my current job I’m the only one working with communication). Getting work in the the media and communication field is crazy hard in Sweden, there is so much competition, so I’m chuffed that they picked me of all the applicants. That said, I should also be better at touting my own horn as I’ve got almost 20 years of experience in this field by now, so I definitely bring a lot of knowledge to the table!
And finally, we have booked a trip to Barcelona this summer. A trip to fabric stores is part of the plan and hopefully I’ll have more success finding the good shops this time. I’ve done some halfhearted attempts in the past trying to shop for fabrics in Barcelona and wasn’t too impressed. But I suspect that the gems are not on the high streets, so if you have any suggestions please share!

Donna
    February 7, 2017 at 3:18 pm

Congratulations on the new job! Teamwork can be so energizing, but you’ve obviously proved through your last job and your comprehensive blogging that working independently is also high on your skill set. It is always good to read your posts.

February 8, 2017 at 11:39 am

Thank you! Content creation is one of my favorite things, so I’m happy that I’m able do it both for my day job and on my spare time. And they definitely both helps when it comes to building a skill set.

PsychicSewerKathleen
    February 7, 2017 at 4:06 pm

So many congratulations are in order! Your pants first off look fabulous! I think the fit is amazing 🙂 Also congratulations on your Imagine – I bought one last year (and went really crazy and bought the Coverstitch too) and LOVE this machine. There is a good reason why people love it so much – the ease of threading and the quality is there too. And congratulations on landing a new job! I’m sure it would be comparable in Canada where getting a great job in communications in a non-profit is extremely competitive. I worked in non-profits too for almost 15 years so I know 🙂 Following what you do I have no doubt they will be thrilled to have you on board – your attentiveness to detail, determination and creativity will be a huge asset for them.

February 8, 2017 at 11:41 am

Thank you! Content creation and communication is so much fun, creative and energizing so I can see why so many of us want to work in this field. Happy to hear that you like the Imagine, that makes me yearn even more, but still no word on when it arrives!

Esther
    February 7, 2017 at 10:25 pm

Ser fram emot dina videon om activewear och posten om byxorna med.
    Grattis till det nya jobbet och välkommen hit till Barcelona. Om du vill saa skulle jag vilja gärna guida dig till tygaffärerna!

February 8, 2017 at 11:42 am

Det vill jag gärna! Vi får höras, ska dit månadsskiftet maj/juni. Vore toppen om vi kunde ses!

Esther
        February 9, 2017 at 9:36 am

Underbart! Jag är hemma slutet av maj/början av juni (min semester är senare). Mejlar till dig om det!

February 13, 2017 at 9:22 am

Ja vad kul! Ser verkligen fram emot att ses!

Chloe
    February 8, 2017 at 12:36 am

Exciting! Congratulations on the new job – and the new machine, I’m looking forward to hearing how you like it. As for fabric shopping in Barcelona, I’m no expert, but the Encants Barcelona flea market was a lot of fun, and I picked up some great knits there. http://www.encantsbcn.com/es. Loads of fabric stalls, some specializing in wools, trim & haberdashery, novelty prints. The market itself was great to just stroll around, and it’s near the Design Museum, which has a great costume exhibit, too!

February 8, 2017 at 11:44 am

Thank you for the tips. That sounds like an awesome place to visit, I will definitely put that market one on my must-sees!

Meris
    February 8, 2017 at 1:49 am

Question about those pants: did you self draft them or are they an existing pattern? I’ve been trying to find a pants pattern that fits like that.

Thanks!

February 8, 2017 at 11:46 am

It’s from Burdastyle magazine issue 1/2010 nr 120. The shape is very flattering, with curved waist band, a flat front, a nice fit around the bum and straight legs from the knees and down. I’ve seen Burda make many variations of this pattern draft over the years, so I’m sure you can find something similar.

Summerflies
    February 8, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Congratulations on your new job. Very exciting for you. I always love your content and really appreciate the time you put into it. Just writing a normal boring blog post takes so long (for me) and your content is so well organised, detailed and so well done. Loving the look of your new pants and looking forward to your blog about them. And WOW, great treating yourself… a good investment 🙂

February 13, 2017 at 9:17 am

Thank you! I do feel that my work experience helps my blog and vice versa too. Especially when it comes to content organization and continuity, and the blog gives me room for more creative freedom which helps me open up new work ideas. A post on the trouser and the fitting process too is coming up in the following in the following weeks 🙂