A list

- Life of Johanna

I have to

Write a checklist for my YouTube video recordings. Recently I managed to record two sewing vlogs before I realized I had plugged in the microphone in the headphone slot so there were no proper sound 🙁 That wouldn’t have happen if Anja and I had a checklist before we pressed record. So many things to keep track of when making videos!

I’m impressed by

People’s sewing skills, especially when it comes to things like welt pockets and jacket lapels.

Jacket by Burdastyle

My own skirt pattern

I long for

More time to peruse my interests, namely creative stuff, travels and exercise.  I already long for the day I retire where I can plan my days according to what I love the most. Only 20+ years to go. Oh well.

I’m inspired by

Lying in bed late at night looking at the designer garments on Net-A-Porter and similar sites and fashion magazines. I draft a lot of my own patterns so I look more to RTW than pattern companies for inspiration. But I always feel inspired when browsing through issues of Burdastyle, I love their fashion magazine format!

I dream of

I have just came out from a stressful spell, switching job and such, so for a while I was waking up at night thinking about job related stuff. That sucks. During transitional times my stress leves always rise and I try to remedy that with exercise, rest and fun activities and knowing that this too will pass. Luckily I feel less stressed now and I really enjoy my new job.

I’m googling

Video checklists templates, lol (see above).

Halter neck top by Burdastyle

I’m excited for

Summer and our week long trip to Barcelona in late May/early July, we are going to the Primavera music festival and where I also hope to meet up Esther to do some fabric shopping.

All photos in this post were taken by my husband over the last 8 years or so.

PsychicSewerKathleen
    April 20, 2017 at 3:52 pm

This was a fun post Johanna. I’ve done video recording too – the recording part is only the beginning isn’t it? It was the editing part that completely discouraged me – talk about time consuming!! It just ate up hours and hours. I think “time” as you say has become the most precious commodity – it flies by so fast. I never considered searching for checklist templates! A brilliant idea I could definitely use for all sorts of things. Thank you for taking a slice out of your very small time pie to share your life with us.

April 20, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Yes editing is a big time suck, but I suspect that over time we can develop an effectiv workflow. Not there myself yet though, lol. And regarding time, totally agree even my retried parents say they have too little time!

Esther
    April 21, 2017 at 8:48 am

I did love this post! I feel very much the same!
    I’m a list maker myself, and now I see my teenage daughters making list themselves as well, ha, ha.
    About lack of time, I am rather obsessed about it and keep on reading strategies about better time management, but I have a lot of commitments ( job, housework, aged parents, demanding daughters) and a lot of interests (sewing, hiking, reading, foreign languages, ) so my lack of time is terrible.
    About sewing, the truth is that it is a hobby you can’t do when you are tired, or disaster is probable to happen…So you must find quality time for it!
    Well, I am a bit closer to retiring time than you, but the Spanish laws keep on postponing retiring age so I’d better use the time I have now!

thanks for mentioning me in your post and looking forward to meeting you in Barcelona.
    En stor kram, jag har verkligen lust att träffa dig och tala svenska!

April 21, 2017 at 2:12 pm

Ja det ska verkligen bli kul att ses! I too am into time management techniques but I suspect that it also comes down to not take too much on. but yes it is hard when there is so many things to do, both the “musts” and those for enjoyment. We have so much to choose from these days, which I suspect adds to the feeling of lack of time

Myra
    April 21, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Lovely pieces Johanna! I especially love your Burda style jacket! The color of the fabric and the hardware are just gorgeous compliments to each other! You look chic in each and every piece! Special note, why can’t life be without high stress, it would be so much easier! Congratulations on your new job!

April 21, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Yes I know, a stress free life seems like Utopia, especially if we have many things on our plates. As many of us do 🙂 And thank you for the congrats, switching jobs has been one strategy to remove some stress from my life. But my field of work is stressful in general, so not sure if I will succeed 100%!

Sandy
    April 21, 2017 at 12:36 pm

I would like to thank you for the information on the Janome Cover stitch 2000. I just purchased mine yesterday and I love it. I have the baby lock ovation serger and it does a great cover stitch but it doesn’t have the free arm for sleeves this makes a big difference for me. Thanks again

April 21, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Yes the free arm is a blessing and was one of the reasons I decided on the Janome rather than the Ovation, even though the Babylock is clearly a fantastic (and pricey!) machine machine.