Patterns, work in progress

Next up: Liberty lawn Burdastyle blouse

It’s time for a new installment in my Spring Stash Busting Wardrobe. I’m making a second blouse, again from Burdastyle. I love their blouse patterns apart from one pesky thing, which is that they often add too much sleeve ease that is nearly impossible to ease in a flawless way. So I need to check this before I start sewing this blouse and do the necessary alterations. The pattern I’m using is from the Burdastyle May 2012 issue – I keep revisiting my old issues and always find new patterns I want to make. This is the fourth or perhaps fifth garment I’m making from this issue!

I’m using a Liberty lawn called Pegalia. I love love love working with lawn fabrics. They are so easy to sew and often don’t need ironing (at least not by my standards). Plus of course the prints are often absolutely breathtaking. There are a few downsides though, of course the price (but hey quality cost) and secondly the fabric doesn’t always last forever. Hence why I recently had to retire my old Pegalia print blouse that was around four years old as it had some fabric tears that was hard to mend. The same thing happened to another Liberty blouse that I made in thin bleached cotton lawn.

But yes, still worth it tough as I love Liberty so much. So that’s what I’m doing next.

6 Comment

1. Reply
    PsychicSewerKathleen
    May 18, 2017 at 5:06 pm

I have been having fun myself with blouses! And shirt dresses 🙂 I love Liberty cotton lawn too but I had no idea they didn’t last! They are so nice to touch and just so perfect for a comfortable garment in the summer. Have you checked out Closet Case’s latest Kalle pattern? You might not like it as much because it is quite loose fitting but it is looking so lovely on so many people I must get to it soon. I’m making myself a second Endless Summer Tunic (love this pattern – it’s simple but the fit on me has been so great after a lot of tweaking mind you) in linen for the summer.

1. Reply
      May 18, 2017 at 8:59 pm

It’s mostly the thin white ones that has been a problem for me. There are some that are a bit thicker that has more staying power in my experience. Mostly the fabric deteriorate around the sleeve seam area, where there are a lot of stress. But still worth it I think, even the delicate ones has lasted around four years for me with a lot of wear. Because I love wearing Liberty lawn.

2. Reply
    Erin VH
    May 18, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Hi, Johanna! I have a woven T pattern in my sewing queue that I’m planning to make with Liberty lawn. I’m nervous to cut it, but it must be done. I’m sorry to hear your lawn hasn’t lasted very long. How do your launder lawn clothes? Any tips to share?

1. Reply
      May 18, 2017 at 8:55 pm

I wish I had any tips! I just used the regular cycle. It’s mostly in the seams/sleeve area that the tear is a problem, especially if the lawn is bleached and quite thin. But that said, all my lawn garments have lasted around four years at least, and I wear them all the time. So not that bad when you think about all the wear you will get out of your soon to be gorgeous Liberty tee :-). The fabric is a dream both to sew and wear, just perfect!

3. Reply
    Myra
    May 18, 2017 at 9:36 pm

I’m afraid I am at a disadvantage…not sure if I’ve ever used lawn. From your conversations, sounds like I’m missing out too! I’ll have to find some and give it a try. Good luck with your blouse, I can’t wait to see it!

1. Reply
      May 20, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Oh you should! It’s the best fabric for summer if you ask me 🙂 and if you want to splurge the Liberty lawns have amazing prints that can’t be found anywhere else. Perfect for shirts, but I’ve used it for simple woven tops, skirts and dresses too. It’s addictive for sure!