Made by me, Video

Video: My finished 4-piece wardrobe

Back in April I boldly announced that I would make a 4-piece wardrobe using only fabrics from my stash. I labelled the project “spring wardrobe” but, that didn’t happen, since I’m well into summer now. To be honest this project left me exhausted and that is something I talk about quite a bit in this video. Plus I show you all four makes of course and give the inside scoop on all of them. And talk quite a bit about pants fitting as well, you know that ongoing life struggle!

Links related to this video
Next up: Burdastyle 06-2013 119 green sateen blouse
Sewing tutorial: How to sew a bias tape neckline finish (I used this on my green blouse)
Fast Fit by Sandra Betzina – the book that explains how to remove ease from the sleeve cap (amazon affiliate link)
Next up: Knip Mode (Fashion Style) open cardigan issue 7 2016
How to do invisible hemming on knits (blog sewing tutorial)
Invisible hemming on knits (video tutorial)
Next up: Burdastyle shirt 05-2012 nr 104 Liberty lawn blouse
Next up: Burdastyle cigarette pants 04 – 2016 nr 117
Tutorial: Sewing a faced trouser pocket (the method I used for the Liberty lawn pocket lining)
Fish eye dart method 1. Flat bum adjustment  (the method I always use, from Ann Rowley)
Fish eye dart method 2. Fish eye dart (pants). A great tutorial by Debbie Cook
Pants for real people (amazon affiliate link). The book I used for the entire fitting process (apart from the fish eye dart)

8 Comment

1. Reply
    Aline
    June 25, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Your projects look amazing! I would say seven 8ths… and I find that when I work really hard on a pattern I only see the imperfections but really to anyone else it looks perfect. I am struggling with fitting blouses. I managed to make one a few months ago that turned out really nice and had intentions of making a few in different fabrics but then I gained weight! Now I have to start over with the fitting…le sigh…your blouse projects give me inspiration to press on. I love your videos. Great work!

1. Reply
      June 26, 2017 at 9:05 am

Totally, we have such a critical eyes on our own makes. I’m way more forgiving with RTW even though most garments doesn’t fit me nearly as well as my own makes, being petite, having a round tummy and a lower body that doesn’t go well with ready made trousers. I’m happy to hear that I inspire you to try again, usually some things on our body remains the same even though the weight fluctuates so hopefully you won’t have to start from scratch!

2. Reply
    PsychicSewerKathleen
    June 25, 2017 at 5:57 pm

As always your makes are beautiful Johanna! Love your pants! WOW – I would say GREAT fit 🙂 Love the pockets especially. Your blouses are also amazing- but your sweater is truly magnificent. What fabric did you use for your sweater? I want it! 🙂 In English we call them “fractions” and 7 EIGHTHS is the correct terminology but we all knew what you meant 🙂 I can imagine how tired you are after 4 garments and although you are used to making blouses they are fiddly and a lot of work. I love sewing too but I have to agree with you 100% that it’s NOT easy by any means. It challenges us on all sorts of levels – physically, intellectually, creatively and most especially EMOTIONALLY. The ups and downs are so extreme! When we make ourselves something that fits and is beautiful and something we wear often we are thrilled to the moon but when we struggle to make something and it doesn’t fit or it just looks horrid we sink into these awful depths of despair that makes us wonder if it’s worth it. Then like you say we pick ourselves back up – the machines calling to us like Sirens and new patterns releases that are simply irresistible and we’re off seeking another dream 🙂

1. Reply
      June 26, 2017 at 9:10 am

I co-sign on everything you say, sewing is such an emotional journey and to be honest I’ve felt the tool lately, trying to finish all the garments and being happy with the result. Today, when I finally put it all out there and am 100% finished, I feel a sense of relief that I haven’t felt in a long time. The fabric is from an Danish fashion brand, don’t know which one but I have a local fabric dealer that has some great connections and gets the most fabulous fabric cast offs from Danish fashion houses. I bought it last fall and me and another women were kinda fighting for the last bit 😉 But we both ended up with enough fabrics

3. Reply
    Faye Lewis
    June 25, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Yes, we say seven eighths. You did a wonderful job on everything INCLUDING the pants. Pants are giving me a fit as well. I will be looking fisheye dart tutorials for the excess fabrics in the pants back . Thanks for sharing that information too.

1. Reply
      June 26, 2017 at 9:12 am

Yes the fish eye dart method is the single thing that has yielded the best result when it comes to removing excess fabric and I’ve seen many other bloggers getting great result using it, so I think it works universally!

4. Reply
    Janine
    June 28, 2017 at 2:51 am

Thankyou for the video. I love what you make always – kind of pared down but with interesting details. I am glad you are happy with what you have made because sewing is quite a time investment and testing out our own ideas . I love Burda and knipmode but can’t get the latter now sadly.

1. Reply
      June 29, 2017 at 8:51 am

Thank you! Yes Knip Mode should be more readily available, they are not easy to come by here in Sweden either, right now they can be found in a store here locally, but who knows for how long! I think their designs are spot on and will do another pattern soon!