Life of Johanna, Sewing activewear

Book update – I can smell the finish line

This week I started working on the final chapter for my book about sewing activewear. It feels surreal to look at all the pages and realizing that I somehow managed to get it all together. The biggest effort has been taking all the step-by-step photos. I wanted to make a very visual book, as I enjoy that form of learning myself, but that process has been very labor intensive.

Now what remains is all the editing, corrections and formatting which will take all of November. Hopefully, I will be able to offer a print book through Amazon from the get-go as well if the formatting process isn’t too time-consuming. A print book will happen at some date anyhow, that I know for sure now.

Also, I want to give a special shout-out and a big thank you to my wonderful proofreader Kylie, an Australian sewist and journalist (and she is an ultra racing athlete too!) who is helping me with getting the English right and the content coherent. Plus Kylie’s sister Laura has just started a new activewear fabric shop: Sew Active Fabrics so go check that out!

Become a Patreon

If you want to support my work and keep all the sewing content coming you can become a Patreon <3. And if you pick one of my upper tiers you will also get monthly chapter previews until the month the book is published. November’s samples are coming this weekend! Plus you’ll also get a discount when you buy my book if you pick those tiers.

Get updates on my book

You can also sign up for my email list (and get a free sewing machine stitch guide for knits) if you want to get updates. Plus, I’m planning a fun thing later in November where you can help me chose the book cover, so stay tuned for that!

6 Comment

1. Reply
    PsychicSewerKathleen
    November 2, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Congratulations on entering (I’m sure FINALLY) the final lap in your book journey! There are “print on demand” places as well that support self publishing. People can order the book directly from them and they will print it off and ship it to them and send you the royalty. You might want to investigate this option as well. I would be thrilled to see it in hard copy!

1. Reply
      November 4, 2017 at 4:29 pm

I will try one of those for sure. I will probably go through Amazon’s print on demand service as it involves zero work on my end to ship it and since I think North America is one of my biggest potential markets it makes sense from that point too. As you say it is quite easy to self-publish a print book today, it’s just getting the formatting right that will take time!

2. Reply
    Kathy
    November 3, 2017 at 4:34 am

You should have an option to become a patron where you can make a one time donation. And if the donation is large enough, you get benefits. I personally do not like to get in a situatiom where I make monthly payments, but a one time payment is better for me.

1. Reply
      November 4, 2017 at 4:30 pm

That’s a great idea! But I don’t think Patreon has a one time option (yet). But I’ll look into it for sure!

3. Reply
    Bracken
    November 3, 2017 at 9:38 am

Congratulations. As a writer myself I completely understand that moment when you realise you really have done it ( cosmetics not sewing and nothing to do with my blog though probably I should get round to linking to my books at some point). I use Amazon and it works. If you use Create Space ( paper books) and KDP (Kindle) there are no up-front costs. People simply order, Amazon print on demand and you get royalties. You have a choice of distribution channels but gte nothing for indie shops. Beware of the self-publishing companies that ask for upfront payment. Many of them give rubbish finishing and you do not sell anything. Generally they are a rip-off. Its generally called “vanity publishing”. Amazon is a great place to start selling your books. The tax issues are a little annoying and I end up paying 30% tax for US sales but my accountant reckons it is better to just go with that until the sales grow enough to spend days queuing at the US Embasy which seems to be the only way to prove you do not need to pay US tax. Create Space also offers templates so you can copy and paste straight into this and you will then need less editing before you can actually offer your book for sale. Colour printed books with lots of pictures cost much more than black and white so depending on how you go forward you need to think of this. In the end I started with a full colour book but now also offer a smaller book, just on moisturisers, and will eventually write several more by expanding each chapter into new books ( all different topics so eg one is moisturiser and another is shower jelly etc) but with less pictures and smaller sized format so they are cheaper for people to buy which means you also can sell them as an introduction to your larger books. Just a thought anyway. Good luck with the whole thing. I will be buying a copy once its out.

1. Reply
      November 4, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Thank you Bracken. This all the info I needed, so helpful. I have too decided to go with Create Space and KDP. The tax is a struggle for sure, I will undoubtedly get double taxation too, both US and Swedish. I don’t even live in a city with a US Embassy, I had no idea this was even an option, but yeah those waiting lines are intense, I’ve heard this too about the US Embassy and with stricter travel rules, I’m sure it is even worse now. I will make a measly sum from the print book according to the calculations, which I suspected. But that is the same when you are working for a publisher, which I have in the past. It’s practally change money for each book sold once the taxes are paid and all that. One doesn’t get rich writing books, that is for sure!

I like your concept of producing books in different price points, that is probably something I need to feel out once I dip my toes in the water. Your idea of repurposing some content and turn them into new books sounds really smart too. I love thinking about this stuff so very helpful to hear from someone who has already done this. Again thank you!