A mishap

June 3, 2009 9 Comments

A mishap

June 3, 2009 9 Comments
The first rain coat causality.

So I sewed the two back pieces of the raglan sleeves together instead of the front and back. No big deal, right? Just rip it apart and start over. Weeell, except that I went on and heat sealed the seam with tape before discovering my mistake. And the tape is stuck like a super glue. And I’m out of fabric.

I spent an unfruitful hour trying to squeeze in the pattern piece on the small fabric remaints. Then I ate some chips. Then I ordered one more yard of the fabric. It will arrive next week, hopefully. But I’m still a little bummed, and it’s hard to do other rain coat stuff in the meantime because a lot of the construction is dependent on having the sleeves in place. Damn!

• Christina June 3, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Bummer! It's always something.

• cidell June 3, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Damn is right. Damn.

• Mary Nanna June 3, 2009 at 9:18 pm

I feel your pain.

• Faye Lewis June 3, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I will assume that this type of thing happens in the garment district as well (lol). You know that I've done something similar too.

• gwensews June 3, 2009 at 11:13 pm

I know your despair. We all do. Plunge forward.

• fredrik June 4, 2009 at 12:01 am

Det känns som att förr spenderade du lika mycket tid med att sprätta som med att sy, men nuförtiden ser jag dig aldrig sprätta? Synd det skulle hända just när det inte gick att fixa men du kommer igen, baby. Som när du åkte ner i trean, ett tillfälligt f-up bara. Snart är du tillbaka på tronen. Och det blir säkert inte regn förren du fixat det här. Puss.

• Ann's Fashion Studio June 4, 2009 at 12:19 am

Too bad. It's not pleasant when this happens…on the bright side…lucky you could get more of the fabric 🙂

• Antoinette June 4, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Oh, dear. I'm going to eat a bag of chips for you. Maybe you can use those sleeve remnants to make a matching hat for one of your daughters, until the extra yard comes in?

• Judy Ross June 4, 2009 at 9:07 pm

I too, feel your pain. I know you've got this one sorted, but if you couldn't get more fabric, you could cut off the heat sealed seams and add in strips down the seam to add back in the fabric removed. It should look like a design feature rather than a fix, perhaps echoing the hood gusset.

While I haven't had this exact problem, there's a reason why my tag line is "There are no sewing mistakes, only opportunities for design features" 🙂