Kelly cardigan

- Floremark, Made by me, My makes, Sewing cardigans

I forgot to talk about this cardigan that I made during the Christmas holidays. It’s done in a soft wool rib and the placket is decorated with lingerie lace. I feel that this design is very much a sum of parts. I bought the lace over two years ago in Copenhagen but it took me until now to find the perfect use for it. The buttons are a similar story – I fell in love with the them last year, bought a whole tube, tried them on all kind of things, but it wasn’t until I paired them with the lace and the navy wool rib that I felt they found it’s proper place.

I put the cardigan in my Etsy store as well. No sales of this style there yet, but my mum loved it and ordered one last week when she visited 🙂 I do find it easier to sell in person, clothes are such a tactile experience and you can to appreciate fabric and fit much better in real life than trough pictures.

I have gotten quite savvy sewing knits over the years, and one reason is practice of course, but another reason is the book Sewing with knits by Connie Long. It’s the definite bible on knits in my opinion but it looks like it’s out of print, so snag one if you don’t own this book already. Which reminds me that I should do a proper review of this book!

Antoinette
    January 12, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Thanks for the recommendation on the book! I scoped out the library last visit and borrowed a couple that weren't very helpful. Sweet cardigan!

Kerry
    January 12, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I need to get that book. Knits are my newest challenge. I found some gorgeous dark navy sweater knit that I bought with the intent of making it into a similar style cardigan to yours. I bought it back in May, but I still haven't attempted using it yet for fear I'll screw it up.

I love the front placket – it looks so professional and perfect.

January 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm

>>Antoinette: I think you will like this book very much, it's extremely thorough with guides for all tyoes of knits. The only thing missing is step-by-step assembly ideas, but I find Kwik-Sew and Wendy Mullen great sources for that.

>>Kerry: I used to be really scared too about working with knits, I was even scared of my serger! It's a different way of thinking than with woven materials, but with some practice it will quickly become much easier

sdBev
    January 13, 2010 at 12:09 am

As soon as I saw the picture I said "that does look good". Your description makes it sound even more yummy. Good luck with your sales. That's a classic that deserves to be in several wardrobes.

gwensews
    January 13, 2010 at 12:30 am

That is a very classic sweater. Very pretty. Hope it sells well for you.

Susan
    January 13, 2010 at 12:49 am

I love sewing with knits, but have had a fit trying to find sweater knit fabric specifically. I love your Kelly cardigan.

Faye Lewis
    January 13, 2010 at 1:01 am

Love your cardigan too. The little trim is so pretty.

Kyle
    January 13, 2010 at 1:50 am

Found you through Antoinette.

Gosh you have given me so many ideas looking at this and your etsy store–using the lingerie lace like a kind of piping, using ribbon to make stripes–your stuff is amazing!! High quality and looks RTW. Very nicely sewn and a lot of it is my style!!! Definitely have some ideas spinning for the weekend!!

Gail
    January 13, 2010 at 8:28 am

Do you have any tips for sewing buttonholes on narrow knit bands. I the last time I sewed them, I did them by hand because my machine couldn't/wouldn't cope.

Ann's Fashion Studio
    January 14, 2010 at 12:05 am

Such a pretty sweater. I like the lace detail and the buttons are perfect.
    Are you buying your knits local or from an on line source?

January 14, 2010 at 11:12 am

Thank you all for the comments!

>>Gail and Ann: I'll answer your questions in a separate blog post.