My sewing corner – a video

December 27, 2015 10 Comments

My sewing corner – a video

December 27, 2015 10 Comments

youtube-subscribe-button

Want to see how I managed to cram an insane amount of sewing stuff in just 1.5 square meters (16 square feet)? Well I did this little video to show you my tiny sewing corner in the living room. I’m sure many of you can relate, once you get bitten by the sewing bug it can quickly become a very equipment heavy hobby and then you are faced with the massive challenge to cram it all in. We live in a two bedroom apartment and when the kids leave home there will be more space for sewing, but for the foreseeable future I will have to work with what I got.

Where I got my stuff in the video (in order of appearance)

Pattern rack and hooks from Morplan (sadly the rack is not currently available)

Sewing thread organizer (with adjustable pins) from Ebay seller Theo Bald

Pattern drafting ruler from Shoben

Iron holder from Ikea

Moppe mini chest of drawers also from Ikea.

Steel organiser chest from Clas Ohlson

Plastic bins for button storage also from Clas Ohlson

Sewing machine Bernina model 1230

Pfaff Coverstyle (a combined serger and coverlock)

Plastic bins with inserts for elastic, fusibles and more from Smart Store

• sarahkatecreations December 27, 2015 at 7:04 pm

That was so fun! I loved your sewing room, but my favorite part was the Pilates Teaser poster on the wall. Way to stay inspired.

• Johanna December 28, 2015 at 7:24 am

Hehe, oh that dreaded teaser! I have a love hate relationship to that movement, love how challenging it is, and hate how challenging it is 😉

• Ann's Fashion Studio December 27, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Amazing use of space!! Love the pattern rack. Wish it was still available.

• Johanna December 28, 2015 at 7:26 am

Yes me too, I want to buy a second one but have searched to no avail. Such a brilliant space saving product

• Kyle December 27, 2015 at 11:14 pm

That was fun! Also really neat to hear your voice. Where do you store your fabric, or do you have, gasp, no fabric stash?

• Johanna December 28, 2015 at 7:33 am

Lol, I am the queen of fabric stashes, I don't even know how it all entered my home 😉 The fabrics are stored in boxes in both the bedroom and in a tiny walk in closet.

• Faye Lewis December 28, 2015 at 1:45 am

Our sewing spaces/rooms, etc. are our creative havens. I was talking to a friend today who said she doesn't have space. I am a firm believer in making it work.I love how well your space is organized.

• Johanna December 28, 2015 at 7:30 am

I 100 percent agree with you. I think it so important to prioritize having a proper space, even though it is small. When I was confined to using kitchen tables and such, it was such a hassle that hardly any sewing got done.

• esther December 28, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Hi Johanna! I have been following you for several months and I love your blog !
    I wanted to ask what about the light? Have you got daylight in your sewing space?

• Johanna December 28, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Hi Esther, thank you! Yes I have good daylight in my corner. However daylight is a scarcity for many months here in Sweden so I need additional lamps, I actually have three, one desklamp and two spotlights. But none of these are very good and I'm currently looking for a powerful work lamp, but they seem hard to find here in Sweden. I would love to hear suggestions of what type of lamp that works best for sewing.