When I tried to make a jacket in one day and the craziness that went down

March 15, 2016 9 Comments

When I tried to make a jacket in one day and the craziness that went down

March 15, 2016 9 Comments
I’m generally a slow sewist, because I like to feel in control of the process and want do a lot of prep work. Also I seldom have the allotted time to sew for hours at end, so for me sewing is generally a couple of hours here and there. And when I try to sew for long stretches, more mistakes tend to happen, which I discovered during the sewing LAN party I participated in last year.

The downside of my moderate approach is that some of my sewing projects can drag on forever, especially if there is also pattern drafting involved and/or complicated techniques. One of these projects is the ski jacket I had planned to make for Patterns Review’s Bargainista Fashionista competition. I’ve been so unfocused about this project, that after 14 days all I had to show for it was a failed muslin and a scrapped pattern draft.

But when I woke up on Saturday morning this last weekend I decided to just make it happen, even though it would require me working way into the wee hours of the night. Which is a real struggle for me, as I usually go to bed at around 10 PM and wake up at around 5:30 AM on work days, so I knew this project would also mess up my sleeping schedule.

So the challenge went like this: Could I draft the pattern, cut the fabric pieces and sew the entire jacket in one day? I decided to do a video log on Snapchat of my experiment. So if you want to know the result, here is my video of the sewing crazy that went down this weekend. Or to put it another way, a sewist gradual descent into madness. Enjoy!

• BeccaA March 15, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Wow! That was very quick to go from drafting to finished jacket in just 2 days. Please post more pictures of the finished jacket when you get a chance.

• Johanna March 15, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Absolutely there will a proper blog post about the jacket, I just need my blog photographer/daughter to find a room in her busy schedule 🙂 But I did post some snaps today of the jacket on instagram.

• Nadine in NC March 15, 2016 at 11:33 pm

I really enjoyed your video! This reminds me a lot of myself when I was younger, pushing through to get it done. I tend to be a slow seamstress myself, especially now, because I've started to spend a lot more time altering my patterns both for fit & sometimes style. I appreciated the insight into your weekend of sewing and look forward to reading your next blog post. I hope you'll talk about if you had it to do over again, whether you would have made a muslin or whether the fit was good enough that you consider the jacket a full success. I've always been afraid to just dig in after massively altering & redrafting parts of my patterns.

• Johanna March 16, 2016 at 6:00 am

You raise some really great questions that I will address in the blog post. And yes the lack of muslin definitely contributed to some of the issues I had!

• Summer Flies March 16, 2016 at 2:01 am

Wow… I really loved that little video. You could see your deterioration but I'm so pleased you got your jacket done. It looks terrific and I can't wait for the blog post about it.

• Johanna March 16, 2016 at 5:58 am

Yes the detoriation was definitely palatable! This is what I liked about the video format, that it better captured those intense raw emotions that can happen when sewing. A written post would probably have felt more restrained

• Kyle March 16, 2016 at 2:35 am

Wow, that is really something! Congrats on getting it all done in a weekend!!!

• Johanna March 16, 2016 at 6:02 am

Thank you, I still can't belive it happend, as my memory is a bit blurred. But I have a jacket and a video that shows it did actually happend 🙂

• Anonymous March 17, 2016 at 12:51 pm