Next up: Burdastyle Peter Pan blouse

July 16, 2016 7 Comments

Next up: Burdastyle Peter Pan blouse

July 16, 2016 7 Comments
Burdastyle inspiration Peter pan blouse

The swing shorts are finished and they turned out nicely if I can say so myself. That means it’s time for my next sewing for Sicily project. This time I think I have the perfect match when it comes to fabric and pattern. I have an organza (or is it chiffon?) silk/cotton mix fabric that I bought in Copenhagen this spring during my fabric shopping tour and since this Burdastyle blouse pattern from the June issue is intended for sheer silks I think this combo will work very well. I’ll use silk organza to stabilize the button placket and collar.

Though I’m a little unsure about the bust darts, do they look nice in a transparent fabric? All the sheer silk projects I’ve done previously has either been lined or have no darts.

• anneke July 16, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Maybe you could trim and finish the bust darts so they look more like seams? We did this on the lace portion of a wedding dress for a friend and it looked perfectly fine!

• Johanna July 17, 2016 at 6:41 am

That's a neat tip, thank you! I've never tried it before but looked it up and it seems like a great method. Luckily though it looks like the dart will be less visible than I thought due to the busy print. I basted it yesterday and I think it will work fine as is!

• Raquel from J.C. July 16, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Use this trick: The Bobbin Stitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ZTvJqhNiQ

• Johanna July 17, 2016 at 6:45 am

Thank you! What a cool method, have never heard of it before. I'm gonna give it a try, but I think i'll do a couple of samples before I do it on my first:-)

• Raquel from J.C. July 17, 2016 at 11:05 am

Great! Greetings from USA!

• Summer Flies July 17, 2016 at 1:08 am

I don't think it will matter if you can see anything… I think when it is close to your body it won't be noticeable. RTW just make a dart like normal. I just watched that bobbin stitch which was super interesting and nothing I have heard of before. Looking forward to seeing your finished garments.

• Johanna July 17, 2016 at 6:47 am

Yes you are right, I basted the dart yesterday and it looks much less visible than I thought, also due to the busy print. I'm gonna give this bobbin stitch method a try and report back once the garment is finished, always good to learn a few new tricks!