Video: The Little Red Dress is finished!

December 20, 2016 8 Comments

Video: The Little Red Dress is finished!

December 20, 2016 8 Comments

youtube-subscribe-button

Phew, The Little Red Dress is done (and in the nick of time, especially considering I also had to record a video!).

In the video I will reveal the finished dress and also give you the low-down of all the work that went into it. I think this dress is a good reminder that through prep work will pay off in the long run, even though it will take longer before the actual garment is finished.

Also I got a cold and am a bit under the weather so not sure how festive I sound in the video to be honest, but such is life!

Techniques used for this project

Shaping a flared hem with machine ease stitching

The quick way to sew darts (without tracing paper or marking)

How to make a detachable lace collar

The book mentioned in the video

Fit for Real People: Sew Great Clothes Using Any Pattern  (Disclosure:Amazon affiliate link)

Today is also the collective reveal for all sewing vloggers participating in this sew-along, so search for #thelittlereddressproject or the little red dress project on all social media to see more people sharing there makes. And check out Runningnstyle’s blog for links to all the participants

I’m taking a little break now with my videos over the holidays and will be back with my regular Youtube schedule in January. Got a lot of exciting ideas coming up in the new year. But the blog will continue as usual, I still have many makes to share and on Thursday I will post my tutorial for the detachable lace collar. So stay tuned for that and thank you so much for watching!

• Summerflies December 21, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Your dress is beautiful. The colour is amazing on you. I have always thought detachable collars were weird but now I see how this elevates a simple (but beautiful) dress to really something very elegant. Love it.

• Johanna December 21, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Thank you! Yes, I agree detachable collars can seem a bit odd. But I just got this idea into my head I felt it would be right for this project plus I was curious trying to make one! And it was the most fun part of the project, especially since I enjoy hand sewing so much 🙂

• Donna DeCourcy December 21, 2016 at 2:41 pm

It’s a lovely dress, and the collar idea is practical and interesting. Do you find that it shifts out of place as you wear it? Is it attached in any way to keep it in place? Do you see yourself making a diggerent variation of detachable collar in the future? Happy holidays, Johanna!

• Johanna December 21, 2016 at 9:14 pm

You are right it does shift a little bit, I noticed that when I edited the video that it was not 100% in the middle after a while so I might add a hook in the future. Detachable collars are a new territory for me, so there is room for more experimentation in the future for sure!

• PsychicSewerKathleen December 21, 2016 at 11:23 pm

I was looking forward to seeing your LRD done and it’s just beautiful which is no surprise considering who was making it 🙂 The fabric is gorgeous and the fit is just spot on which you could only have making it yourself! I actually like the Palmer/Pletsch patterns at McCalls. They always turn out to be a great fit for me but I don’t have their book (surprising since I have about a dozen books on fitting). Love everything about your dress Johanna. You must be thrilled since you did put some serious investment into it for the fabric and of course hours of painstaking work. I have no doubt you’ll get many years of wear out of it especially because it is such a lovely piece for all occasions.

• Johanna December 22, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Thank you! Yes I’m indeed very thrilled and this was an almost zero drama make for me (usually there tends to be at least one those every time!). I can’t speak highly enough of this book, it really covers everything and has made my clothes fit so much better. But it is very information packed and can a bit overwhelming at first and I had to remember that I don’t have to fix every little fitting issue. Just the stuff that makes the biggest difference for me.

• Chloe December 22, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Beautiful! My mum actually has this pattern in her collection – I’m not sure if she made it up as a teen, but I’ve always loved the envelope! However, your collar is much more wearable than the boa trim, for sure. Your sleeves look fantastic. I’ll have to try that method, I feed like I haven’t sewn set in sleeves in forever, but next time, I’ll give it a try. Enjoy the holidays in your new dress!

• Johanna December 22, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Yeah that boa trim is really OTT, but fun too! I could totally see it being a conversation piece at the party 🙂 Wonderful that your mum has this pattern! I love this pattern, so well drafted and timeless, imagine it must be like 50 years old! Plus the end result and the drawing is very similar which is not always the case with vintage patterns, because they often show a rather idealized shape that is quite different from how the pattern sits on the body. And yes start experiment with the finger ease stitch method, so useful, I also use it to get growing necklines and waists back in shape before attaching waistbands and interfacing