Video: How to sew a wrap dress inspired by Diane Von Furstenberg

July 23, 2017 12 Comments

Video: How to sew a wrap dress inspired by Diane Von Furstenberg

July 23, 2017 12 Comments

Yes my Diane Von Furstenberg inspired wrap dress is done and I even managed to vlog the process! So if you want to see the end result and and also hear me being super nerdy and go deep into all the little details that makes a wrap dress, well then this video might be worth watching πŸ™‚

In it I talk about everything from adjusting the pattern and expand on a bunch of knit sewing techniques, such as how to interface knits using fusibles, a new way (for me) to add facings to knits, sewing cuffs on stretchy fabrics, my best pressing technique for knits and I even try to achieve invisible hemming on a lycra knit using my sewing machine (watch the video to see how that goes!). Plus some sleeve drama!

Even if you are not planning to make a wrap dress perhaps some of the tips I share in the video based on my studies of DVF dresses can be useful if you just want to try out more high end finishing on your knit garments.

Also, I plan to make a post about wrap dresses sewing patterns so if you know of any, and perhaps have tried them too, please share in the comments! I used both Butterick 5030 and Onion 2037 for this project.

Plus:Β all my blog posts about sewing wrap dresses

• Faye Lewis July 23, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Hey Johanna! As usual you have brightened my Sunday morning with a video that contains so much valuable information! As you know I have been in love with your wrap dresses since way back when, and couldn’t wait to see your new rendition. It is very lovely!, and thanks so much for highlighting your entire process. I will be making a wrap dress in the Fall so this will be a valuable resource when I make mine.

• Johanna July 24, 2017 at 2:21 pm

Happy to hear you enjoyed it and found it valuable! It’s always fun to try new techniques and I really wanted to share some construction ideas to others who want to do something similar, I learned a ton myself during the process. Good luck with your wrap dress project!

• Susan July 23, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Great video! The dress looks fabulous on you.

• Karin July 24, 2017 at 7:48 am

the dress is great and IΒ΄ll take the yoke detail with me for my next project

• Johanna July 24, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Happy to hear you liked the yoke detail too, it’s so much better than the regular flimsy ones and not something I would ever being able to think of myself, so my DVF studies paid off πŸ™‚

• Adrianne July 24, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Wow! Beautiful dress Johanna! Thanks for documenting the process (you are a fearless sewer!) to achieve it.

• Johanna July 26, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Thank you! I’m definitely in a phase now where I want to learn something new every time I make a piece of clothing, and with this project I learned a ton and it was fun sharing it πŸ™‚

• Kathy August 8, 2017 at 6:28 am

Fabulous video and dress Johanna!

• Ro September 18, 2017 at 7:26 am

Love this wrap dress ! You did a fabulous job explaining all the details 😊 I am following you from the U.S.A. So enjoy all of your posts , so thank you so much 😊

• Lisette November 2, 2018 at 5:54 pm

This was great since I haven’t made a wrap dress in a number of years, it was a good review. Did you not do anything special for the fit of the neckline? I see yours crosses pretty high and I guess that helps with preventing the neckline opening up? I usually end up using a snap to make it secure.