Video: How to learn patternmaking

February 26, 2018 6 Comments

Video: How to learn patternmaking

February 26, 2018 6 Comments

Here is the video from the livestream I did on Sunday about how to learn patternmaking. It’s a value packet hour if I may say so myself and well worth watching if you want to learn more about patternmaking. We covered a lot of ground including my own patternmaking education, the difference between sloper and blocks, drafting patterns for knit fabrics, how patterns are drafted in the fashion industry vs in schools, my book recommendations for pattern drafting books, making patterns by hand vs on the computer and a lot more!

Patternmaking books mentioned in the video

(Amazon affiliate links)

Patternmaking for Fashion Design by Helen Joseph Armstrong

• Adrianne February 26, 2018 at 2:07 pm

Hi Johanna. I really enjoyed the live chat yesterday! I now know the difference between a sloper and a block! I will never draft my own patterns, but I feel confident that I will learn how to adjust for fit and some uniqueness!!

• Johanna February 27, 2018 at 9:26 am

Yay! As I say in the video there are pros and cons about drafting our own patterns, but understanding our unique body and making alterations, well that knowledge is priceless!

• Denise February 27, 2018 at 6:29 am

The live chat was so interesting! I’m a bit away from having time to really delve into drafting, but it’s fun to think about and I’m already making my book list!

• Johanna February 27, 2018 at 9:27 am

Happy to hear you found it useful and having pattern books also helps us understanding fit and how to add our own personal details to pre-made pattern, so it is definitely something to explore for sure!

• Zanda February 27, 2018 at 7:22 am

Thank you for the live! I enjoyed it and explored for some new books I want to buy. Thank you for sharing!

• Johanna February 27, 2018 at 9:30 am

You are welcome! Happy to hear you found the information useful, it’s definitely a very interesting topic to explore and it can also help us understand things like fit and proportions.