My winter makes: A Burdastyle sewing bonanza!

- Made by me, Video

So let’s take a look at my latest makes – a winter wardrobe using four different Burdastyle patterns. I worked off and on on this wardrobe for about two months and it’s always a such a sense of relief and to put it all together and see that I actually managed to make it all happen! Also in this video, I go all in when it comes to knowledge nuggets, such as how to interface eyelet fabrics, how to not mark eyelet fabrics, sewing narrow hems, various neckline techniques and plenty more!

Things mentioned in the video:

My winter wardrobe sewing plans video
How to succeed with sewing top stitching
How to sew a narrow hem
Review of the Clover Chaco Liner Pen
Esther’s blog
Burdastyle liberty lawn blouse
Patterns mentioned in the video
Burdastyle pleated skirt
Burdastyle knit dress
Burdastyle voile blouse
Burdastyle cotton eyelet blouse

Sarah
    February 11, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Have you tried the the air erase pens? When I’m sewing something right away they work really well, although there have been times when I get delayed and the marks disappear before I get to them! I haven’t tried them on eyelet though. I also like their water erase version, but I’m lazy about washing them out so prefer the air-erase. https://www.amazon.com/Clover-Chacopen-Erasable-Pink-Eraser/dp/B0018N76EQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518368944&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=clover+chaco+pen+air+erase

February 12, 2018 at 8:37 pm

I have tried the air eraser in the past and also the water erase version and found them both good. I might need to revisit them after this mishap, but overall I really like working with tailor’s chalk since it usually easy to remove and I don’t need to stress about sewing straight away.

Esther
    February 11, 2018 at 10:51 pm

Hej Johanna! Great to see the fabric from Barcelona turned into a beautiful eyelet blouse;) . I do love the dress too, and I feel the same about marking tools that do not disappear – one of my first sewing disasters – . I also had a bad experience about a dress with a knot in the front that weighed too much and made the neckline turn inside out….
    It is good to hear that this things do happen to others as well.
    Kram,

February 12, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Yes those markings pens can mess up things for sure, I would love to see some solid advice on when and how to use different pens for different fabrics and purposes. And thank you for making this fabric happen, I love it so much! Kram Johanna

Adrianne
    February 12, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Your winter collection is awesome! You matched that blue/cream pattern like a boss!!

February 12, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Thank you! I do try make the pattern matching look good, because once you start noticing these things there is no turning back!

Jan Brown
    February 12, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Hi Johanna, I am also a big fan of Burda and have the magazines from 2012 when I started sewing for myself. My issue is an index. If I want a knit top I have to look through every copy. Do you know if anyone has created an index?

February 12, 2018 at 8:44 pm

Having an index is such a great idea! I have seen someone creating a great one for Ottobre magazine, split into garment types, but have not seen one for Burda. Perhaps there is something in German?