So here is my finished cotton voile blouse, that I sewed as part of my winter plan. The pattern is from Burdastyle’s 2013 June issue and it is the fourth time I sew this pattern, but this pattern has so many variations (including a shirt dress) so you would never guess it’s the same pattern. This time I did the mandarin collar version and now I ask myself why I don’t sew standing collars more often, they are are stylish and are easy to sew too!
The blouse has such simple details, just bust darts and the placket is just a folded facing, no separate pattern piece. The only alteration I did is to remove ease from the sleeves since Burdastyle used to add an insane amount of ease to their set-in sleeves, even on knits! And unwanted gathers around the sleeve head is a look that screams homemade, and not in a good way! If you are curious how to remove excess ease from the sleeves I highly recommend the method Sandra Betzina uses in her book Fast fit (affiliate link).
I bought the fabric in a great little fabric shop in Helsinki last year. It was labeled Italian style cotton voile on the selvedge so in my twisted fantasy I assumed that the fabric was actually made in Italy, lol! Talk about deceptive marketing, but the fabric is great nevertheless.
As you can see the collar is a very simple, just hidden behind the placket facing in the front, and in the back the seam is covered with a bias strip (the stitching in the back). Neat and easy.
This must be one of favorite blouses currently and I have made a bunch in the last year, since I had to retire a bunch of my old favorites. So nice to have found a base blouse pattern that I can just re-make over and over, but it still feels unique each time.
Previous makes using this pattern
And the hem has a nice rounded front, so it looks equally nice when not tucked in. If you haven’t checked out my tutorial How to sew a narrow hem, you should. It’s the method I used for this blouse and it makes it so easy to sew a narrow hem that is even and doesn’t twist.