Next up: Yoga capri leggings

- work in progress

Time for garment four of my new workout collection, a pair of yoga capri leggings that I also plan to wear as lounge wear.  I’ve been on a sewing roll lately, spending entire Saturdays pretty much glued to my sewing machines, whipping up everything from a running dress and a sports bra to my daughter’s graduation dress. I have kinda of a love/hate relationship with those long sewing sessions. It’s wonderful to step into that bubble and being able to make a lot of progress in one sitting. On the other hand I do feel like my life outside sewing suffers a bit, and after such long sessions I’m absolutely spent and have no energy for other things. I think I need to do a better job pacing myself, but once I get going and have the time, it is very hard for me to stop.

How do you pace your sewing? Do you do bite size chunks or prefer long sewing sessions? And how do you know when it’s time to step away?

Ellen S.
    May 24, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Being retired I can sew when I want. However, I still find myself spending long stretches of either no sewing or lots of sewing. My one hard and fast rule is when I make two mistakes in a Sharon period I stop sewing. Always. I have found if I ignore this rule I will end up ruining a garment. And I also find my body tells me when enough is enough. Ignore this and I will pay for it.
    Thanks for such a great book. Just received mine last week and am ready to get started.

May 25, 2018 at 3:42 pm

What a great rule you have, clear and concise. I need to apply something similar, if I can find the discipline! And thank you so much for getting my book!

PsychicSewerKathleen
    May 24, 2018 at 8:11 pm

I go through spits and starts too! I find there is just the “right” amount of time and when I feel it I stop. I just feel a little tired, confused or possibly even fed up and then I stop. But if I leave it alone for a few days in a row I get antsy and miss it and get frustrated that I’m too busy to have a nice relaxing day puttering around with my sewing project. It’s hard to stop though when you’re in the groove and everything is coming together so nicely and you have the end result in your sights and that’s when you could easily tip the balance into getting tired and making the silliest mistakes that even you can’t believe you’ve done 🙂

May 25, 2018 at 3:45 pm

I love the concept of the “right” amount of time, and devolving an intuitive sense of when that sweet spot is reached. I still struggle with this. And yes about sewing when getting tired, all we know does indeed seem to go out the window then!

COREY
    May 25, 2018 at 1:27 pm

When working, I typically organize my sewing project for the weekend. During the week, I do most of the prep work, deciding what to work on, the patterns, checking measurements and doing my worksheet which includes, sewing plan, supplies, fabric sample. Friday evening is spent doing the cutting or not, most often it is spent watching a movie with a bottle of wine and hugging my dog. Saturday is a long day of construction, Sunday is spent finishing up the details and Monday morning, its a new outfit to wear to work.

May 25, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Your structure is very impressive, and I like that you divide tasks into chunks where they are the most doable. I too prefer to make the small stuff/prep work on the weekdays to make room for longer interrupted sewing sessions on the weekend

Adrianne
    May 25, 2018 at 1:42 pm

Hi Johanna! I live and work on our small farm, so I sew in between chores (7 days a week because there is never a day off!). This is not ideal for me as I am a beginner and I tend to forget things from sewing session to sewing session. I just started writing myself notes and leaving my reference books open to the appropriate page (yours included!). Thankfully this is helping to eliminate mistakes and frustration!

May 25, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Wow, you are running a farm, that is one big life commitment! I think your approach of beginning to document is really sound, and something I wish I had done as a beginner. It would have made the learning process much more effective!