June sewing bits

June 12, 2018 8 Comments

June sewing bits

June 12, 2018 8 Comments

Stella’s graduation

My eldest daughter has now graduated from the Swedish equivalent of high school, and as I’ve talked about before I made Stella’s graduation dress. It was a big day for her and I felt very honoured that she wanted me to make the dress. It was a beautiful day that I nearly missed since I got stuck at various European airports on my way back from Barcelona due to fog. I won’t bore you with all the details, but when I finally arrived in our hometown I was a mess due to no sleep and a panic attack at the Amsterdam airport.

The sisters! Anja to the left is also wearing a garment I made for her, a Burda peasant top. She too is ready for a new phase, as she is finishing grundskolan which is the mandatory school in Sweden. Next up is a theoretical program that will also prepare her for becoming a firefighter. Stella is taking a gap year now to work and travel, and will probably start university after that.

Book progress!

I reached and then beat my projected word count in May for my upcoming book about coverstitching. I’m researching so much that writing is not a very quick process, but I’m really enjoying this part of book writing. The hardest phase will be the photo sessions for all the tutorials and such, but I plan to spread them out during the year so that I don’t overwork myself.

Testing new stuff

I’m currently working on a new pair of yoga leggings and I’m trying a new waistband pocket solution. It’s always fun to try out new techniques. I’m taking photos so hopefully, I can show you a tutorial once I’m done.

Fabric shopping in Copenhagen

Next week, I’m taking the kids Copenhagen over the weekend to celebrate their graduations and life changes. I will also look for proper garment industry denim, which is impossible to find in Sweden. Last time I bought some fine denim from GStar Raw att Skipper Stoffe, and hopefully I will find something similar this time. I have also done a fabric shopping guide to Copenhagen- It’s a great city to buy fabric in, not cheap, but great quality and a beautiful selection.

• Angela June 12, 2018 at 5:33 pm

I will absolutely get your coverstitching book – wish it were ready for release now 🙂 I hope we get sneak peeks now and then (I’m a Patreon supporter too!) Congratulations to your children, how exciting for them, I wish them well.

• Johanna June 12, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Yes there will be Patreon book bonus material for sure, just like I did with my last book. I will probably start adding them around the July/August turn of the month. Thank you so much for being a Patreon supporter!

• Adrianne June 13, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Congratulations to both your daughters! I am so glad you were able to make it home in time for the ceremony, whew! Don’t push yourself so hard Johanna, we don’t want you to wear yourself out!

• Johanna June 15, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Thank you! And yes, rests is so important too and sometimes easy to forget!

• Esther June 13, 2018 at 4:12 pm

Grattis till flickorna! Congratulations! My older daughter is also finishing secondary school and turning 18 this month, which really feels great to her and to me! Grown up children are maybe not so cute as infants, but are definitely less time demanding, which gives us more to sew! 😉

• Johanna June 15, 2018 at 6:10 pm

Oh yes! I think the best way to learn to appreciate even the smallest pockets of time is to have children 🙂

• Linda June 14, 2018 at 4:56 pm

I am so happy about the coverstitch book! This will be do helpful! And congrats on the graduation!

• Johanna June 15, 2018 at 6:11 pm

Thank you! I feel very excited about the book too, just wish it took a little less time. But I want to make it as good and content-rich as I possibly can while still working full time, so it will take some time 🙂