August sewing bits

August 9, 2018 13 Comments

August sewing bits

August 9, 2018 13 Comments

Today is my birthday!

Yep, I’m turning 46 today! I’m struggling to write something profound about this mid-term age, but overall life is good. Speaking of ageing, I heard a guy on a podcast the other day saying that he thinks there are two cliché ways to age; either becoming grumpy and conservative or get a motorbike and some tattoos. And while a lot of people scoff at the second option, he argued it is actually preferable as it means you are still curious and want to do new things. I think he had a point!

So if I have one age-related wish (apart from being reasonably healthy) it would be that I can be open-minded and always be ready to try and learn new things. Sewing related and otherwise.

I also committed to one age-related vanity thing this summer, I went to a hair salon and got some blond balayage highlights, hoping that a blonder shade would blend better with those silver strands that I’m getting more and more of. I hadn’t dyed my hair in almost 10 years, and it was the first time I had a professional do it. I have to say that I love my new hair colour!  I used to be blonde as a child, and my current hair colour is very similar to the one I had until my hair turned brown when I was around 20.

Learn some Swedish sewing words!

After Sunday’s vlog where I tried to speak Sewing English, I got requests to do a similar video with Swedish sewing words. Well, I’ve done a little video now with some fun words (did you know that we call thimble “Finger castle” in Sweden?). You can watch the video on my Facebook page or on my InstragramTV channel , and I also included a few fun bonus facts. I hope I did a better job with the English words this time, due to your helpful comments and not trusting Google Translate!

Coverstitch book update

In July, during the summer vacation, I managed to finish 1/3 of the book pages for my upcoming coverstitch book. That feels like a huge achievement and goes to show how much I can accomplish when I don’t have my day job to attend to, lol. Now I’m back at work and the tempo will slow down considerably. But the fact that I’ve gotten so much done already has made me confident that I can publish the book somewhere in the early months of next year.  I also plan to wake up an hour earlier most weekday mornings to get some editing done before work, just like I did with my last book. Those hours do add up over time.

Have a happy sewing August!

• Susan Ashworth August 9, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Your hair is just gorgeous. I’m not a fan of hair color, because too often it looks so fake. Your hair looks completely natural. Well done!

• Johanna August 10, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Thank you! I was worried that I would end up with fake looking hair colour so I researched local hair dressers instagram pages until I found a colourist that was doing amazing work!

• PsychicSewerKathleen August 9, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Happy Birthday Johanna! A LEO! I was just writing about Leos on my blog for August (you can read the article here https://www.tarotbykathleen.ca/august-is-the-astrological-sign-leo-the-sun-tarot-card/) – I think you’re doing fabulous at this time in your life – just published a great book on activewear and about to publish another on coversitching. Your sewing skill continues to develop and it’s already at what I consider aficionado status. You’re fit and healthy with lots of love in your life. What more could a woman want on her 46th? 🙂 Your new hair colour is gorgeous.

• Johanna August 10, 2018 at 3:23 pm

So cool! I definitely know that my husband would agree on several of the less flattering characteristics that you mention about Leos, :-D. And I have to admit that he has a point, but as a Leo I am too proud to admit them 😉

• Teta Iba August 9, 2018 at 10:18 pm

Happy Birthday!

• Faye Lewis August 10, 2018 at 1:38 am

Happy, happy birthday!

• bracken August 10, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Have a happy brithday – a litte late but the wishes still count I think. Do not worry. At 46 I felt slightly scared of getting old but at 54 I just did my PhD and everything is new again. I wanted to to it for many years then people said your brain changes when you go through menapause and you cannot think. Its rubbish unless of course you want to accept that. Do not be tied down by what other people expect you to be just keep doing what YOU want. Its not so bad honest. I am probably healthier now than a 46. It does take slightly more effort tho:)

• Johanna August 10, 2018 at 3:27 pm

That is so encouraging to hear! It does seem like after 50 a lot of people are feeling a new sense of purpose, confidence and energy. So amazing that you did your PhD at 54, I have heard that our brain gets better at analyzing and processing information in some ways as we age. We make better conclusions and can differ between what is important and what is not.

• Sunny August 10, 2018 at 3:14 pm

Hope it was a great birthday. Mine was! Yes, we share a birthday but I’m 20+ years ahead of you. When I retired I decided to pick up sewing again though I hadn’t had time for it in decades. Sewing with knits was completely new to me. My shape has morphed into something much harder to fit now too. Thanks to people like you on YouTube I’m making my own patterns and experimenting with different fabrics. I gave up the hair color which helped me stay competitive with the younger folks in my profession and now sport a white, gray and auburn head of natural curls I used to keep tamed with hot irons. Age is a perspective. Staying young isn’t an option, but embracing change and learning something new keeps the soul vibrant. Thanks for sharing your life with us.

• Johanna August 10, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Yay to hear from someone who shares the same birthday! I totally agree about embracing change and learning something new to keep the soul vibrant, so nice to hear that sewing has been one of things you have started to explore more now after a long hiatus. I think it is a great hobby to keep the brain going!

• Pati Palmer August 13, 2018 at 6:50 pm

Johanna,
    47 is really young, by the way. I am 25 years older than you and I still feel young and up until now I never even thought about it. But I do think about the possibility of not having another 25 years and that was never in my thinking before. Thank you for asking to talk about our new fit book in your blog. I will say that writing it was a little harder than when I was 47, so go girl! Sincerely, Pati Palmer