Video: Help me solve these sewing frustrations!

October 7, 2018 22 Comments

Video: Help me solve these sewing frustrations!

October 7, 2018 22 Comments

Today’s video is basically a cry for help! I have a few things that irk me every time I sew, but I still haven’t figure out solutions for them. So instead of keeping my frustrations inside, I figured I should reach out to guys instead and ask for help. And I’m probably not alone in having these (seemingly) small issues. So hopefully this video can help others too!

So if you have any suggestions, I’d love to know. And if you have any other sewing issues that you would love to get input on, just ask away and maybe we can help each other to find good solutions.

• Nancy October 7, 2018 at 8:35 pm

I know Ikea sells sticky mats that are placed under rugs to help prevent slipping of them. Very thin cheap yoga mats is made of this nonslip material too. I have cut those to size and it helps to prevent the “running away” of both pedals and machines.

• Johanna October 8, 2018 at 9:51 am

I have those Ikea sticky mats under my mats, and they are indeed super sticky! In fact I may have some scraps in the attic, so I will definitely try those. Thank you!

• Teta Iba October 7, 2018 at 8:49 pm

I have an older version of this needle organizer: https://colonialneedle.com/Machine-NeedlePack-II-TM-.html If you cannot find something similar in Sweden, you could undoubtedly make one.

• Johanna October 8, 2018 at 9:52 am

This is like the coolest thing ever! I have never seen something like this, what a clever storage solution!

• Cecilia Nilsson October 8, 2018 at 5:01 pm

I’ve made something very similar! Didn’t even know one could buy it, thanks for sharing!

• Dee October 7, 2018 at 9:34 pm

I have been meaning to follow this tutorial for a needle organiser for ages.

I have the felt all ready to go and my half used needles are currently all over the window sill. So no excuses really! 😉

• Johanna October 8, 2018 at 9:53 am

So neat and good looking too! Maybe my cry for help can inspire you to finish it 🙂

• Bettina October 7, 2018 at 9:42 pm

I have cuts from a vibration absorption mat that is sold for washing machines under my sewing machine and serger. They are roughly one cm high and made from chunks of rubber pressed together.
    For the pedals, I find they slip only, if they are not close enough to my chair. I would stick pieces of the stuff that is sold to be put between table and tablecloth, to stop it from slipping, if I needed to do something about those pedals. No idea on the needle problem, I put them back into their box, but to the leftmost position. That is not ideal, when it is the first needle I use…

• Johanna October 8, 2018 at 9:55 am

Good observation about the distance. It makes sense to me, I have a wide table and short legs and I have hard time getting them close enough as it is. Those cords are quite short!

• Denise October 7, 2018 at 10:00 pm

For the needles, an idea I have heard about is to get one of those tomato-shaped pincushions. Label each divided section with the needle type and hours of use (up to 4 hours, 4-8 hours) so you know when a needle is too old to use anymore. If I were to do this, I’d probably have to have more than one cushion for all the needle types because there aren’t enough sections on one cushion.
    The little rubbery pads that are meant to keep rugs from slipping are somewhat helpful for pedals, but not perfect. I think in your situation where you have all the pedals in one place, I’d make a little flat board and glue some dowels on it to make a little corral for each pedal so each pedal may stay in its own section in a consistent order. Line the board with the rug pad so the individual pedals don’t slide around or make the corrals very small.
    My old serger used to slip and I kept it on a big, fat, neoprene old-style mouse pad. Worked like a charm!

• Johanna October 8, 2018 at 9:59 am

Having dedicated sloths for each pedal sounds ideal and probably the neatest solution too, as I can see that I would still mess things up with a sticky mat. And that needle system sounds very clever as my biggest struggle is to keep track of older and newer needles and I don’t want to inspect them all the time!

• Rena October 10, 2018 at 7:06 am

I use the tomato pincushion very similarly. The barely used needles go in the bottom third of the section and they move up as I use them. I also heavily rely on the colour coding on the schmetz needles I keep the PDF guide on my iPad.

• Anne October 7, 2018 at 11:37 pm

There is a non slip matting stuff used on boats to stop stuff slipping. You can buy by the metre I think Dunelm sells it as well as boatyard shops. I label fabric cut parts with masking tape label. The needle thing I have no solution !

• Johanna October 8, 2018 at 10:02 am

I think I will embrace the masking tape idea, it sounds simple enough for me to stick to it and durable enough to secure that the info will not be lost until I don’t need it anymore

• Becca A October 8, 2018 at 3:17 am

For needles I have a tomato-like pincushion that was sold specifically for keeping track of partially used needles. It is labeled with knit and woven heavy duty and light and each section is vertically divided by number of hours used. For the needle in the machine at any given time I keep the needle case in the drawer with the feet.

For pedals I suppose you could create a wooden board with the pedals Velcroed on or zip-tied. My husband has a board like this for his guitar pedals. I have so little space that my pedals can’t slide away very far and I have to move my cover stitch machine or my sewing machine on and off the table in order to use one or the other.

To keep track of the pattern pieces I keep the cut fabric with the pattern piece until I am ready to sew the fabric. This helps me keep track of right side vs wrong side, right way up, as well as which piece it actually is. For some funny shaped pieces it isn’t obvious which is up and down or left/right–a front yoke piece for example, could be easy to orient incorrectly without referring to the pattern piece.

• Johanna October 8, 2018 at 10:04 am

I love the idea of a pedal board! I got a tip on Instagram that one can get those for sewing machine pedals on Ebay and will check that out. And your needle solutions is exactly what I need, a simple way to keep track of how much I’ve used the needle without having to inspect them

• RettaR October 8, 2018 at 4:08 am

Crafty Gemini has a U-tube tutorial showing how to make a simple non-slip foot pedal holder. Pinterest alzo shows a few variations.

• Johanna October 8, 2018 at 10:05 am

Thank you! I will research this further, I’m starting to think that investing in a proper solution for the pedals would be the best way forward, at least long-term

• Willo October 9, 2018 at 7:43 am

1: non slip rug mats. Good for pedals on floor. Good for under serger. Also good for opening jars. Lol.
    The needles well I have 2 1st is a tomato pin cushion. I use one segment for a type of needle then write each size needle in each segment. I put a coloured pin in the spot of the needle currently in use. White for serger red pin for sewing machine.
    I have now used this same idea but on a flat furniture felt pad ( the ones that protect the floor ) and this is stuck to the board behind my machines.

• Willo October 9, 2018 at 7:46 am

I use low tac painters tape on the back of my fabric pieces. I write on the tape then stick it on. If it’s fine fabric it goes in seam allowance 😀

• Lucie October 29, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Grabbit Sewing Tools Blue Feather My Pad for Needles Machine Needle Organizer https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00AYD3FH8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_CVW1Bb5K135RW