When I arrived on home turf after the trip to Spain, I was sad to trade the sun and ocean swimming in Barcelona for a rainy and cold Sweden. But at least I can sew when I’m home! So lets take a look at what went on sewing wise last week.
I was still off from work and I finally got hold of the Burdastyle issue that had the pattern for the cigarette pants. So Monday evening was spent tracing all the pattern pieces (if you want to know my tricks, check out my video tutorial on how to trace patterns from Burdastyle magazine). Tracing patterns and adding seam allowance are not my favorite things in life, but this has been my reality since I began sewing the 80’s and the fact that A. Burdastyle has some fantastic designs and well drafted patterns. B. Their sizing fits me better than any other pattern company I’ve tried and C. I can get the patterns for free in the library or for not much in magazine shops, makes it worth the hassle for me.
Tuesday was Sweden’s national day, but I spent it home working my butt off doing a billion alterations and two muslins in search for a good fit. I did most of the alterations before I even made the first muslin, since I’ve gotten pretty good at analyzing a pattern and see what needs to be done. The pic shows the second muslin, but the first one looked pretty good too, only needed more room in the tummy area and less in the back.
Wednesday I met up with my daughter after work for a visit to Stoff & Stil to look for fabrics for her peasant top. The original plan was to pick a jersey fabric, but she couldn’t find a print that she liked so she settled for a rayon fabric that was very soft and with good drape. Here is more info about the pattern and the fabric she picked.
I was totally exhausted and all my plans turned into nothing this day. Bleh. I always get tired when I return to work after having time off, but this time it was pretty extreme. Maybe I’m getting too old to adapt to changes!
I interfaced the trousers I’m working on. I used fusible cotton woven interfacing for the first time in years. The fabric is a super stretchy woven and I wanted an interfacing that was both light and a little sturdy to keep the details like pocket flaps and waistband in check. I’m a big believer in stabilizing fabrics before sewing, hence why I also add fusible tape around the waist and pocket seams. A stretched out fabric is no fun when making clothes!
Finally I got started on the peasant top for Anja. I had planned to begin this project earlier in the week and hopefully be finished before the weekend was over, but that stubborn sluggish feeling made it hard. On Saturday evening, after participating in the local Pride parade festival, I finally felt okay again and made some progress.
Since I had felt so tired during the week I didn’t record my the voice-over for my Sunday video about sewing basics until the same morning, just a few hours before I released the video. Normally I try stay more on top of things, but this was not the case this week. Then I went to see Wonder Women with my kids (it was pretty good and also a big feminist victory when it comes to Hollywood action films, which left me feeling very inspired). Then I sewed a little bit more on the peasant top until it was time for bed.
So this was my week of sewing! Hopefully I will get my mojo back soon. Having energy is such a blessing and I always miss it when I don’t have it.