Another Burdastyle blouse pattern, and another winner I think. This was the first time I tried this, it’s from Burdastyle issue 2012-05-104 and I actually traced this pattern several years ago, planning to use it for this particular Liberty lawn, but I got sidetracked until this spring. But it was worth waiting for!
I love the simplicity of this pattern and the fitted shape. I don’t like big boxy shirts, they don’t work well on my petite frame. This pattern is fitted with darts in the front and back, but it doesn’t sit tight.
I love picking distinct button for my projects as I think buttons can really elevate a garment and is one thing that makes our makes to stand out – ready made fashion in stores usually use generic boring buttons to keep the cost down. If you want see my trip to the button store and my adventures with my new buttonhole cutter you can check out the vlog I made on this subject.
The cuffs were also very pared down and the bound placket was made with bias tape, so it is very discreet. Since I’m very narrow around the wrists I added an extra fold to the sleeves to make the cuffs sit more tighter on my arm.
The collar is flat, with no stand. Very easy to make, plus it is drafted super well so that a natural fold is created, adding the illusion of a collar stand.
I also did a buttonhole video tutorial using this shirt as an example, so you can see more in detail how I did the placket.
All in all a great pattern, that turned out exactly as I hoped. I can totally see myself making this shirt again in the future, perhaps with a short sleeve next time.