Today I got off to an even later start (read evening) since I woke up with a terrible craft hangover from yesterday’s bridal bonanza. I was home alone yesterday, up late and got so absorbed that I didn’t drink properly, which was a bad idea since there is currently a massive heat wave in Sweden. But then tonight I got some sudden energy again and decided to work some more. So now the front of the dress is pretty much finished (not lined though). After a trial on a scrap I was happy enough to muster up the courage to cut out the dart and try to make the seam “invisible” (notice the quotation marks, I am no couturier, but I do the best I can).
And this is the final result. The dart is slanted and runs like a regular bust dart. You can see it if you know where to look, but my daughter couldn’t when I asked her if she could point out any seems on the bodice. So that made me deem it good enough!
After the darts I tacked the lace to the bodice using lots and lots of stitches. The thread is matching the fabric very well, so it is probably hard to see all the tacks. Just as well cause I am not sure the tacking lives up to couture standard, but again I deem it good enough 🙂
Now I will have to do the same on the back pieces, but hopefully it will be easier since they are much flatter. I rather not make any more cut-out darts in the lace!
Then I machine basted the front skirt to the front bodice and tied a ribbon around the waist to mimic the original design. And if can say so myself, it is looking pretty, pretty good so far!