Curious about woolly nylon, a.k.a. textured stretch thread? In this video, I talk about this thread that is becoming increasingly popular among us home sewists. It’s traditionally used as a looper thread in the garment industry, especially when sewing activewear, swimwear and underwear on sergers and coverstitch machines.
The beauty of the woolly nylon is that it spreads out and gives fantastic coverage, which is especially nice when sewing flatlock and mock flatlock seams. You can also use this thread in the bobbin on a regular sewing machine, but you won’t get the same coverage effect since the thread won’t run through loopers at high speed.
Topics covered in this video
- When and how to use woolly nylon
- Different brands, including my faves
- Using woolly nylon in a serger, coverstitch machine and a sewing machine
- Best settings when sewing with woolly nylon
- Pros and cons with woolly nylon
- Plus a lot more!