UPDATE: The application for pattern testing is now closed! Thank you so much for wanting to test the pattern! For those who have applied, I will contact you on Thursday, October 10. And if you want to get notified when the pattern will be available for sale, you can sign up for my newsletter.
Features of the Aila Leggings
The Aila leggings is a very versatile pattern, with a multitude of design options.
- Optional crotch gusset
- Four lengths: Bike short, Capri, 7/8 and Full length
- Contrasting panels option
- Drawstring feature
- Zip waistband pocket
- Criss cross back pocket
- Round tummy waistband option
The leggings are close-fitting, with negative ease. I’ve also worked hard on making the pattern suited for a curvier body, i.e for someone with a rounder tummy and/or fuller hips, which is a body type that is not always served well in the athletic wear space. I’ve even included two different waistband options, one regular and one drafted for a rounder tummy, so that everyone can have a waistband that fits well, regardless of body shape.
The leggings should be sewn using 4-way stretch Lycra/Spandex knit with at least 65% stretch. You don’t need to use a polyester activewear fabric however, for instance, the black/grey ones in the photo above are made using an organic cotton/lycra jersey. The important thing is that the fabric is medium weight, very stretchy and has great recovery.
The basic leggings without any extra features are very beginner-friendly, and the detailed, illustrated, step-by-step instructions are made with a beginner sewist in mind. For intermediate to more advanced sewists, there are also some cool, RTW-inspired techniques to try, such as the waistband zipper pocket. The pattern also has an easier, but equally nice, criss cross back pocket (here sewn using power net)
- PDF-pattern A4/Letter and Copyshop/A0. Both with layered sizing
- Illustrated step-by-step instructions
- A booklet with a few extra tutorials for professional-looking leggings
The Aila leggings currently come in sizes EUR 34-52 (US 2-20). Hopefully, I can expand this size range moving forward.
The testing process
- The pattern will be sent out to the chosen testers on Friday, October 11.
- Deadline for feedback and photos is Monday, October 21.
- The basic leggings can usually be sewn up in an evening or two, whereas the versions with various detailing can take a few more hours.
- You can sew whatever version you prefer.
- There will be a tester’s Facebook group where we can share and learn from each other. But you don’t need to be on Facebook to test the pattern, it’s just a bonus thing.