I spent the first week of my vacation working on getting my upcoming coverstitch book in motion and made some real progress, even though I have miles and miles to go—I don’t think this book will be out until spring of next year. Anyhow, I figured I should give you a little progress report and also share some behind the scenes of what it’s like making a book out of the living room.
But first of all, I want to say that I’m super happy that I shared my book project with you from the start, first because I’ve received so much support which is incredibly important when working on a mammoth project like this. And secondly, I’ve gotten lots of great topics suggestions that will become part of the book.
My goal is to make the ultimate coverstitch reference book, while still being easy to read with lots of photos and an appealing design. That is a lofty goal, but I believe in aiming high!
Coverstitch machine photo session. I take most of the photos in a makeshift photo corner in the living room.
Photo editing. I have been editing photos as a part of my day job for almost 15 years, but I’m not a trained photo editor and I felt I needed to improve both my workflow and colour correcting skills. So I took a photo course in Lightroom this spring, which is better than Photoshop when it comes to batch editing.
Book pages. If you are a Patreon supporter you have access to the first sample chapter from the book. Plus starting in August I will post coverstitch tutorials from the book to all my Modiste and Couturier supporters. Modiste gets one a month and Couturier two!
Interviews with the pros. Just like with my Sewing Activewear book I will also feature interviews with coverstitch experts that share their best tips. I’ve even made some on-location visits, such as to the garment factory that is part of the Swedish Textile University where I met with two wonderful ladies who have worked in the garment industry their entire adult life.
So here it is. As I said I still have ways to go since each completed page takes like forever (research, text, photos, graphic design), and my last book was 184 pages, hence why this is such a long-term project!