Sewing fold-over elastic is one of those seemingly easy procedures that can still cause us some grief, especially when it comes to figuring out the right amount of stretch and how to keep in place when stitching since it can be a bit slippery.
I use a lot of fold-over elastic myself, especially for the activewear I sew. So over the years, I’ve done a lot of experimenting with different methods to see which ones that yield the best result.
I’m happy to report that I now have a really good process for sewing fold-over elastic, and since I regularly get questions about this, I figured it was time to make a video with my top tips.
Content: Fold-over elastic video tutorial
- The best ways to sew fold-over elastic
- How much to stretch the elastic
- Sewing fold-over elastic in curves
- Best stitch settings for fold-over elastic
- Closing the seams on fold-over elastic
- Sewing fold-over elastic flat vs round
Now these are my prefered methods, and I know there are plenty more ways of doing, so I’d love to hear your top tips as well!